Chesil Beach Fishing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First attempts at pendulum today

+3
Triplex al
Weaver
oldage
7 posters

Go down

First attempts at pendulum today Empty First attempts at pendulum today

Post by Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi all,

Went to a friend's farm's field today for an hour's casting practice - my first bash at the pendulum! I'm still in the process of getting used to my first multiplier set up but wanted to start slowly learning this cast due to fishing certain venues that aren't ideal for off-the-ground. Well..... I was very nervous as I was dreading the inevitable birds nests and crack-offs, but gave it a go! First few casts went very low and very fast, probably about 50 yards and like a bullet! I had my penn 525 on level 8 (maximum mags) + had put in the two extra magnets 2 days ago for extra insurance on the pendulum. Well, I increased my drop (aimed to have it around 8/9foot) and slowly got the lead higher into the air.

Couple of issues.... My casts generally went about 35/40 degrees to the left of where I wanted them in front of me, any ideas on how I could rectify that??

Also, I have tried my best to imitate style from videos I have seen, with the winding of the body etc., but it didn't quite feel right on my back, like the left hand side of my back was taking unnecesary strain.

Anyway, pleased to say no major birdsnests or anything, apart from my line randomly snapping on the retrieve at one point at the end (wondering if the grass puts wear+tear on the line, anyone else know anything about this??) was new-ish line.
I managed to get my mag setting down to 5, and ended up hitting around 115 yards at the end, very good for me so I'm pleased Smile especially as I probably only got through about 12 casts (thanks to soggy ground which the lead sunk in to EVERY cast, meaning a long walk lol)!

Sorry I don't have a video or anything, I know that would be ideal but I'll try and get one up sometime soon, that's probably the best way I can be properly analysed and helped!

Any help much appreciated,
Cheers guys. Smile

Back to top Go down

First attempts at pendulum today Empty Re: First attempts at pendulum today

Post by oldage Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Well done, it's a start and you can only get better. Smile
oldage
oldage

Number of posts : 6656
Registration date : 2010-03-12
Location : In a ditch or under a hedge......(Depends on the rent really.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Weaver Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:30 pm

No expert by any stretch of the imagination but couple of things to try. Foot position is probably causing the back strain. I was taught to keep both feet parallel to the "beach" and the left foot only a little behind the right. This is a bit different to the foot positions for otg. No need to move your feet during the cast until you have a comfortable style.

For getting a straight cast your head should turn to the same position as you would have for your otg setup. ie looking up over your left elbow as you begin to turn into the cast. Your head will be looking to the right at about 1 or 2 o'clock. If its going fast and low to the left you are probably releasing to late.

To combat the buried lead try using a hockey ball in place of the lead. Same weight but won't bury itself. Like I said I'm no expert but hope that helps.
Weaver
Weaver
Admin

Number of posts : 12468
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Triplex al Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi
Same as Weaver Im not an expert and probably the worst person for advice, but Ive started. If your pulling to the left or right try increasing/ decreasing your drop. Each time before casting make a mental note of where the weight aligns on the rod. When you get a cast right put the weight in the same place and try again. If you are straight ahead on subsequent casts you know where to put your drop. As for off the ground on places like Chesil, try aerial off the ground. I dont pendulum as I pay a lot of money for my line (Diawa Tournament) and dont like losing it. My timing on the pendulum is like a south west train arrival time (got you Fishdorset) lol. If you swing the weight behind you to a position it would have been had it been laid on the ground and then cast at the top of the travel you will compress the rod to its maximum for the power you put in.
I hope I've not taught you to suck eggs but any new members on here may well take this in and then after a while gain the confidence to learn the pendulum, unlike me !!
Triplex al
Triplex al

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2010-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by fishdorset Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm still OTG!
Speak to you later Al!

Your shooting off to one side could be from over rotating your body and relise time being either late or early. Try not to rotate to much until you have everything under control (from experience lol).
fishdorset
fishdorset

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2009-04-06

http://www.dorsetfishingrods.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Cheers guys, some really helpful advice there. I can't wait to get out and practice again!!
I'll try and sort out a video or two aswell, so that I can show what it looks like, also I need to see it myself cus i don't have a clue what my form is like! Looking forward to working on it, will be very useful to my fishing trips

Cheers again Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishdorset Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Come down to Dorchester tomorrow for the casting day?
fishdorset
fishdorset

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 am

hi
like the others i'm not an expert, but i can cast.
in all honesty forget the pendulum cast. put it totally out of your mind. concentrate on the basic OTG cast, and when you have mastered then it is time to think about progressing to the pendulum.
the pendulum is basically a ground cast with a swing at the start. if you cant turn and hit the lead from a static position you will always struggle to hit a moving lead.
i hit 216yds OTG before i even considered the pendulum. now i pendulum and cast further. Twisted Evil
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Number of posts : 10110
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fishdorset Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:17 am

Big Brad wrote:hi
like the others i'm not an expert, but i can cast.
in all honesty forget the pendulum cast. put it totally out of your mind. concentrate on the basic OTG cast, and when you have mastered then it is time to think about progressing to the pendulum.
the pendulum is basically a ground cast with a swing at the start. if you cant turn and hit the lead from a static position you will always struggle to hit a moving lead.
i hit 216yds OTG before i even considered the pendulum. now i pendulum and cast further. Twisted Evil

Totally agree with Brad on this.
I still OTG, and until I am completely happy with it, will leave the pendulum alone.....
I can hit 188yds OTG, so I'd get the OTG perfect.
fishdorset
fishdorset

Back to top Go down

Post by Kep Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:07 am

Good advice by Brad, spend a year at least doing the OTG cast and get the arms straight (my problem) and push/pull aspect correct. When I hit the casting court next time I am switching back to OTG to see what I can hit with the arms in the correct position.

Good luck.
Kep
Kep

Number of posts : 1235
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:11 pm

just as a sub note Jamie Blakeman (from up north) is a ground caster and is hitting distances up to 280yds.
trust me that is a long way.
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Sorry Brad, Kep, Richard, just realised I hadn't replied again to this!

Cheers again for the advice lads, I am hopefully practicing some casting this Saturday (before a Sunday match at Burnham), so will take your advice on board and aim on getting a good ground cast sorted.

And Richard, cheers for the invite mate, would definately be interested in going to a casting day sometime, if I can make it Smile

Thanks all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Im sure you can do better than this gay :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIb7tdktuA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 pm

rolling I should hope so lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 pm

i hope for your sake he is not a forum member and doesnt read your comment. he's bigger than you and may not like being called "GAY" Evil or Very Mad
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by arther jay Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:42 pm

thats so funny.. very very funny..

arther jay

Number of posts : 2517
Registration date : 2008-08-23

http://www.beeranglingclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Apologies, I wasn't laughing at the guy in the video, obviously everyone has to start somewhere, I'm really only just starting up myself! I was just saying I hope I do do better than what looked like a snapped rod! Poor lad, fishing's expensive enough without that happening.....
Also to add, I'm with Brad, it's not really on to call someone that, didn't notice it when I first read the comment, probs thought it said 'guy'.

Skinner

Back to top Go down

Post by arther jay Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm

i'v e watched this video about 10 times now and it's getting funnier and funnier.

arther jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Wooops, I guess my judgement of sarcasm is a bit off! Laughing lol

Back to top Go down

Post by arther jay Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 pm

we have all had nightmares when casting, and when it goes wrong it goes badly wrong, so it funny to see it on video where you can watch it time and time again.

arther jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I've certainly had my fair share of nightmare casts, guess they come thick and fast as you get used to your first multiplier set up! I'm guessing and hoping they tail off later on lol....... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down