Chesil Beach Fishing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dorchester this sunday

+9
Martyn
Kep
oldage
Gill
Big Brad
ArronBarclay
fishdorset
jfbee
shane
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

dorchester this sunday - Page 2 Empty Re: dorchester this sunday

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:01 am

right all tea'd up lets go birdy a few reels and brake a rod..... happy days, hopefully see most of ya up there...
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Number of posts : 7431
Registration date : 2010-10-01
Location : fishing the shingle somewhere, probably not working...

http://www.ab-aquatics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:59 pm

well that was interesting..... it was nice to put a few faces to names, good to meet you all today, i even amazed myself with new pb of 201m. i know its no record but as i was only over the head thumping till monday im quite happy as that was my goal for this month hitting the 200m mark. could have dine without the rain though..... well least there might be some fishin this week hey......
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:43 pm

ArronBarclay wrote:well that was interesting..... it was nice to put a few faces to names, good to meet you all today, i even amazed myself with new pb of 201m. i know its no record but as i was only over the head thumping till monday im quite happy as that was my goal for this month hitting the 200m mark. could have dine without the rain though..... well least there might be some fishin this week hey......

for a first time on a casting court that is a very respectable cast. many have been casting a lot longer and dont achieve 200m. well done. cheers cheers cheers
if you'd used a proper casting reel then a few more yards would have been achieved. lol!
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Number of posts : 10110
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 pm

yeah true and maybe a smaller diameter line instead of .35 or even filling my reels might have helpted as it was nearly emptying it each time. like i said i was impressed so happy days... lol!
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by Weaver Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Very impressive Arron, don't think I'm there yet. Now, was that with the 40mph tailwind Laughing

Species 2012 - 25
Species 2011 - 24  Crying or Very sad
Species 2010 - 36
Species 2009 - 34
Species 2008 - 26

dorchester this sunday - Page 2 Weblogo
Weaver
Weaver
Admin

Number of posts : 12468
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:58 pm

na think it was more like 50-60 Very Happy
honestly it wasnt that strong as forecast i dont think but there was a fair bit of windage....
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by jfbee Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:19 pm

looks like i missed a good day... well done to all who went.

dorchester this sunday - Page 2 Weblogo
Species 2014- conger , pout , scorpion fish , LSD, Bullhuss
sesh's 6
jfbee
jfbee
Admin

Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 pm

ArronBarclay wrote:well that was interesting..... it was nice to put a few faces to names, good to meet you all today, i even amazed myself with new pb of 201m. i know its no record but as i was only over the head thumping till monday im quite happy as that was my goal for this month hitting the 200m mark. could have dine without the rain though..... well least there might be some fishin this week hey......

Thats a hell of a result Arron, well done fella - think i may have to get you to give me some tips up there next month. Take it that was otg as well?

My best was 167 and i was well happy, you must be stoked.

Back to top Go down

Post by reebo Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm

200M for a first cast Shocked ....I've just remembered why us mere mortals don't go to these meets i'm too embarased..... Embarassed top casting fella well done
reebo
reebo

Number of posts : 2135
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Steve-D wrote:

Thats a hell of a result Arron, well done fella - think i may have to get you to give me some tips up there next month. Take it that was otg as well?

My best was 167 and i was well happy, you must be stoked.

yeah well stoked.... to be honest it was litchy who gave me a few pointers this week when i started pendulum, so should probs speak to him. lol

reebo i was of the same thinkin before i went but to be honest such a good bunch of lads, all willing to help you out and nice and supportive, highly recomend it.
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Straight from a oht to a pendulum and 200m, seriously impressive. Was that you at the end chatting to John by his boot - i was the guy in a mustad jacket talking to him when you came up balling up some line. Or have i got the wrong person?

Litchy, how much are you charging for lessons. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:23 pm

ah with the glasses? yeah it was. yeah that was my last cast so thought id really try to hit it and as always when you try to hard the reel is still nested up in my box..... hate birdies, it'l wait till i need it again.
yeah the thing is he doesnt pen, just off the ground so how he knows how to teach me i have no idea but it worked.. lol
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 pm

never really spent anytime with otg use to just overhead thump and went straight into the pen. dont like off the ground, use to do it a bit when carping and dont see any practical use for it on the chesil for my style of fishin.... think it may just be a mental thing but never really did it
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Know what you mean about the otg, struggled with it for a while before it started to bed in but fishing wise it can be a pain in the arse. I'm using gemini splashdowns a lot now for my clipped baits but even that is impractical on some marks. Fished up the B/C and no room or crap footing meant that i was reduced to little more than a lob out.

Like to get to know a simple fishing pen that i could use for those sort of marks. Think i might need a welding glove for that with my f/s though. Wink

Funny day for me had a pb (up from a mighty 125-30 in November) but managed to c**k up most of my casts, just tried to concentrate on getting my head up, keeping the arm straight and not pulling it over my shoulder. Didn't have a cast with anymore than one of those things in it - so even though i'm well happy with the distance i left thinking it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 pm

yeah know that feeling had it all day, sorta know i could hit it harder but just couldnt get it right then when you try to much it just gors wrong hence the crack off. think its mostly confidence, where i havent been doing it long give it a few more hours and think ill be on a winner.
well just might be a case of looking at a few different casting styles, you tube or summit? maybe look at some other types of fishing for thier cast methods and just adapt them to suit the surfcast., not suggesting something like spey casting but i dunno side cast or reverse casting???
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by gazmonster Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:45 pm

201m is a seriously impressive cast for a first time, big well done mate! i really must measure a cast some day but on a field with no-one watching though.......less people to harm!
gazmonster
gazmonster

Number of posts : 2625
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Litchy Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:26 pm

well done arron - all the coaching paid off! i can't swing a lead but i can talk a good cast! iv been told and watched enough people to point you in the right direction and you got the balls to hit it so the results speak for themselves cheers 170m OTG for me today so moving up again Very Happy i'll try a type of pen soon. as someone said to me iv gotta try it or i'll never learn and they are right - good to see so many people today but hard to get into the swing of it (excuse the pun!) with such a long time inbetween casts. trouble with chacing number is that im thinking if i had a tuned reel and such and such a rod and.................. the bug may have bitten! Rolling Eyes Smile

cheers for the lead and the help with the line big brad, much appreciated.

where is the best place to get a center mag conversion for a mag elite......... rolling rolling
Litchy
Litchy

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:44 pm

mate have a goose on ebay theres some nice mags on there.... had alittle peek earlyer. and cheers again for the pointers. 220 next month is my goal. hopefully
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Litchy wrote:well done arron - all the coaching paid off! i can't swing a lead but i can talk a good cast! iv been told and watched enough people to point you in the right direction and you got the balls to hit it so the results speak for themselves cheers 170m OTG for me today so moving up again Very Happy i'll try a type of pen soon. as someone said to me iv gotta try it or i'll never learn and they are right - good to see so many people today but hard to get into the swing of it (excuse the pun!) with such a long time inbetween casts. trouble with chacing number is that im thinking if i had a tuned reel and such and such a rod and.................. the bug may have bitten! Rolling Eyes Smile

cheers for the lead and the help with the line big brad, much appreciated.

where is the best place to get a center mag conversion for a mag elite......... rolling rolling

chris macey does some very good conversions, one of the best.

Last edited by Big Brad on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Litchy Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 pm

ride worth doing to a 6500 or better to keep for fishing and to look for something else?
Litchy
Litchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Litchy wrote: ride worth doing to a 6500 or better to keep for fishing and to look for something else?

worth doing to a reel for casting, and keep the mag elites as ABU made them with a slidy
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Litchy Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:58 pm

you're right i should keep them for fishing. where do you reccomend starting when it comes to a casting reel then?
Litchy
Litchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Brad Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:05 pm

get a 6500ct of some description and fit a monomag. you wont go far wrong and will prob cost about £50-70.
Big Brad
Big Brad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kep Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm glad everybody enjoyed it. Personal best here I come or so I thought but I had a crap days casting. Went back and tried off the ground which was also crap but got 180m. Taken up the offer of lessons in Plymouth with my new Bullet, got a lot to iron out. I feel that I can cast better on the beach for some reason.

Doesn't help either having my right thumb but in a splint today by the Physio as I have De Quervains syndrome.
Kep
Kep

Number of posts : 1235
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Litchy Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Kep wrote:
Doesn't help either having my right thumb but in a splint today by the Physio as I have De Quervains syndrome.

hope it gets better soon kep. good to see you again must get out fishing soon.
Litchy
Litchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next