Chesil Beach Fishing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many caster are out there??

3 posters

Go down

How many caster are out there?? Empty How many caster are out there??

Post by Guest Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi all.

I just spotted this section of the forum and it got me wondering just how many casters post on here Question Question .

I've had a go on grass a few times, casting with Westward Casting Association, where I managed a PB of 241 yards using a Zziplex Quattra Sport, a standard Elite and a 125g lead cheers .

Who else casts over grass Question

Back to top Go down

How many caster are out there?? Empty Re: How many caster are out there??

Post by crack off colin Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi Sammy

I used to many many many years ago with the likes of Phil Hyde and Roger Pearce. However now just use and teach the fishing cast. My PB was 221 over grass but im sure im well down on that now due to fishing!!

I think Iwas using a GS special match and a 6500ca in fact i fish with the same gear today!!!. Last time I used a "Field Rod" was with Tony Jones and it pulled my shoulder out must be getting to old!!!

crack off colin

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2008-08-03

http://  www.castyourlead.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:37 pm

LOL. Surely not too old colin. Thats a helluva cast Sammy. I've never cast over grass and really have no idea how far myt casts go. Would be interesting to have a go one day. Must say though that I'm not that interested in casting for distance sake. More concerned with getting a consistent smooth cast that I can put in the same place again and again. Personally I think this is the key to landing fish, especially black bream which shoal around particular features.

You're quite a distance from the dorset area, but if you fancy organising a casting session I would be interested. Not being in the casting circle I wouldn't know what sort of venues are available.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-08-02

https://chesilbeach.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

How many caster are out there?? Empty Casting

Post by crack off colin Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Richard

They have a casting day at Weymouth every month contact John Hodgson at the Weymouth Casting club Shocked Google them

crack off colin

Number of posts : 1156

http://  www.castyourlead.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Weaver Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Thanks Colin. Yeh, I've looked at there website before and met one of there members at westbay angling. Got a bit put off by his attitude. I was showing one of the guys in there my one up one down rig as we had been discussing rig design. This chap weaing a weymouth angling club shirt (never trust people who feel they have to wear club shirts) takes a look at the rig and says dismissively, "its not very streamlined for distance is it". Well that about did it for me. I replied that it was a one up one down rig and not intended for holding huge baits (it was rig with size 6 hooks!!) and would cast quite easily to where the fish where and was certainly more streamlined than a flapper rig. Totally went over the guys head!

Anyway maybe I'll give John Hodgson a call, I see their next casting date is 15th November.

Species 2012 - 25
Species 2011 - 24  Crying or Very sad
Species 2010 - 36
Species 2009 - 34
Species 2008 - 26

How many caster are out there?? Weblogo
Weaver
Weaver
Admin

Number of posts : 12468

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:06 pm

There are definately those who become obsessed with distance, to the point of being happier outcasting everyone on the beach than actually catching a fish!!

On the other hand I've lost count of the "discussions" I've had in one of my local tackle shops with the owner who insisted that learning to cast well was a complete waste of time and effort as he could catch all the fish he wanted inside 50 yards.

I work on the theory that everyone can catch short, it's those days when the fish are all 150 yards out that it makes a difference. It's just a tool to be used when needed, and there have definately been times when I've fished a match and caught all my fish at distance.

I've never been to the Weymouth events, but because I contacted John Hodgson once to ask about them I must be on his mailing list cause I receive two e-mails per month now, one to let me know where to go and the other one with the results. It'd be nice to finally get up there one day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Weaver Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 am

Thats exactly it sammy. Just a tool for finding the fish. Never varying your distance would be like only every using one bait or one hook size. Must admit that as my casting improves I find it easier to catch when others can't get there bait out, but could still do with another 50yrds I reckon to be able to get out when I need to.

Species 2012 - 25
Species 2011 - 24  Crying or Very sad
Species 2010 - 36
Species 2009 - 34
Species 2008 - 26

How many caster are out there?? Weblogo
Weaver
Weaver
Admin

Number of posts : 12468

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum