Chesil Beach Fishing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arctic Char

3 posters

Go down

Arctic Char Empty Arctic Char

Post by Martyn Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 am

I was dropping off a rig order at Iwerne Springs Trout Farm yesterday and got chatting to Graham, the owner. He's been granted the first ever licence to supply Arctic Char to fisheries... I've caught them wild in the scottish lochs and lochans and they are really good scrappers when hooked, so the thought of catching them in Dorset and Hampshire ponds is quite exciting Surprised

Don't expect any escapes to creep into our local streams though as the licence is only for lakes and ponds that have no connection to a stream, etc and the Char he breeds are triploids so are sterile.

The trout farm is a great place with some nice Brown and Rainbow Trout and the new Arctic Char ready for fishery stocking - but I couldn't work there... I'd want to spend all day flicking out a fly and not getting anything else done Laughing

If you want details of the places that are stocking his char then drop Graham a line, he's a nice bloke and a regular Chesil Beach fisherman too.

Graham Watling - info@iwernesprings.co.uk
Martyn
Martyn

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Arctic Char Empty Re: Arctic Char

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

A few years back I stocked tiger trout at the fishery I was running. They are a char cross as far as i know and they were brilliant scrappers and would jump all over the lake when hooked! even stocking them was a nightmare as they kept jumping out of the tank we were using to transport them to the top lake.
arctic char should work realy well for them and will no doubt draw a lot of anglers looking for something different.

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:45 pm

don't artic char require cold water as in below 8 degrees???? thats why they are found in deep lochs resi's etc....... surely there isnt many waters that stay quite cold all year or are that deep to keep the temp low...... may be wrong.....
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Number of posts : 7431
Registration date : 2010-10-01
Location : fishing the shingle somewhere, probably not working...

http://www.ab-aquatics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Martyn Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 pm

I've just got an answer to your question Arron Smile Graham says Char will feed up to about 14-15°C but the main reason for a fishery stocking Char is to extend their season well into the winter (as well as the novelty of catching a Char). Very Happy

The first fishery to stock his Char, Woodington (one of Hampshire's premiere trout fisheries) has Char up to 3lb in one of their lakes and someone has just had a great day there, catching a big Rainbow, a big Brownie and a big Arctic Char in one session...

How many people can say they've done that in Britain?

Hopefully Rockbourne Trout Fishery in the New Forest will be stocking their lakes with Char soon - close enough for a quick session without wasting hours driving.

Now, what fly patterns do they recommend for Char? Very Happy
Martyn
Martyn

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:42 pm

rockbourne..... my mates manager on there, im doing this weekend as cover manager and a few days at the start of april, i know they get there trout from graham.
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by ArronBarclay Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 pm

didnt know that i always thought they were cold water... every days a school day. cheers martyn
ArronBarclay
ArronBarclay

Back to top Go down

Post by Weaver Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Makes me wish I'd taken up fishing whilst living in the lakes. Think it's one of the few places where you get wild Char in England. Not bad as a smoked fish if I remember.

Species 2012 - 25
Species 2011 - 24  Crying or Very sad
Species 2010 - 36
Species 2009 - 34
Species 2008 - 26

Arctic Char Weblogo
Weaver
Weaver
Admin

Number of posts : 12468
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down